Wednesday, November 20 2019
God is so good…for some reason…God made me think about the word dabble…I do not know why…guess HE wanted me to look at the things in my life that I just dabble in…I thought to myself…I’m a dabbler!
Are you a Dabbler?
1. One who engages in an activity superficially or without serious intent, one that dabbles:
2. one not deeply engaged in or concerned with something
3. a duck (as a mallard or shoveler) that feeds by dabbling
“Walks like a duck…quacks like a duck…looks like a duck…a dabbler”
• Do you dabble in things? What do you dabble in?
• When I was a coached…we called a dabbler…a half-stepper…
• half-stepper - Somebody who doesn't quite finish his work, or tries to take a lot of shortcuts that cheapens the quality of the work. Another term for "slacker" (actually is a slang military word).
e.g., You don't want Springer on your team. He's a half-stepper.
• Usually what happens to a half-stepper is that he goes half speed…and when a half-stepper goes half speed…then they often get hurt!
• I do not know about you but it is easier for me to identify what I do not dabble in versus what I do…ie: I am not a dabbler when it comes to my college football! I am all out…however my passion for college football is not eternal…
• I wish I could say that I was always all out with my walk and my Christianity!
• Son…motivated me recently! Reading Revelation. Started asking questions!
• I started reading!
(Apostle John…letters of warning…receives the vision of the Risen Lord…relays…to the seven churches in Asia) The churches were full of dabblers…
The letters recognize their efforts…but follows up with a “yea but.”
• By the way if you study the letters…we want to be like Philadelphia…still focused…still vibrant for the Lord.
To the 7th church:
• Revelation 3:14-21:
"The Amen, the faithful and true Witness, the Originator of God's creation says: 15 I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot.
I wish that you were cold or hot. 16 So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I am going to vomit you out of My mouth.
17 Because you say, 'I'm rich; I have become wealthy, and need nothing,' and you don't know that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind, and naked,
• Dabblers…do not even know that they are foolish…self-absorbed!
18 I advise you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire so that you may be rich, and white clothes so that you may be dressed and your shameful nakedness not be exposed, and ointment to spread on your eyes so that you may see. 19 As many as I love, I rebuke and discipline.
• NO NEED FOR DABBLERS!
• Commit to Christ vs. the world!
So be committed and repent. 20 Listen! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and have dinner with him, and he with Me.
21 The victor: I will give him the right to sit with Me on My throne, just as I also won the victory and sat down with My Father on His throne.
• TO THE NON-DABBLERS GOES THE SPOILS!
• Biggest obstacle to Christianity is not the nonbelievers…but the Christians that are dabblers…lukewarm and passive
• If you were a Weekly football picks…would they pick you to win the game?
• Why do we dabble in our Humility…our Obedience…our Prayer Life…those things Eternal…being the DAD God has called us to be?
Now above all, my brothers, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or by oath. Your yes must be your yes, and your no must be no, so that you won’t fall under judgment”
SUIT UP DADS!
Don’t be a dabbler in the things that matter the most!